Built in 1928 as a YMCA camp, Channing had been home for thousands of city children thirsting for a taste of country living, even if just for a brief time during the summer. The mystique and joy of cabin living, campfire songs, mist rising off the lake, and creating friendships that lasted a lifetime is at the heart and soul of Channing. The camp closed in the early 1980’s and had sat vacant for years. Most recently it had been a private residence, with much of the original Administration building and camp dining hall untouched.
Lisa & Tim have called Pullman MI home for a quarter of a century, and the love for their hometown brought them to Channing. With their home just across the lake, they kept their eye on this historic beauty. In 2018, they purchased the vacant building with the goal of restoring it to its original Channing charm and sharing its history for years to come.
- The current owners have spent 12 months renovating Channing to its original beauty; from the massive wood beams, to 18-foot vaulted wooden ceilings, to the 2 majestic field stone fireplaces. A spacious back deck allows for stunning views of the sprawling yard and 100-acre lake to enjoy. An old stone fireplace, located lakeside, has now become a perfect spot for an outdoor wedding ceremony.
- The original dining hall now has a separate “reception” area with a large bar adjacent to the spacious dining hall flanked with windows and French glass doors.
- It’s the perfect setting for intimate weddings, family gatherings, or corporate events.
A quaint and private bridal suite (bedroom with a king bed, private bath, sitting room, and beverage station) is available for guests who would love the convenience of slipping away at the end of a very special night.
An Upscale “Camp” Experience
Channing Lodge is also available for rental for the day or overnight. The lodge is connected to Channing Hall and has a full-service kitchen, living room, 2 baths, 3 bedrooms and a sunroom (sleeps 6). Enjoy the sprawling yard, outdoor fireplace, large patio, and all the natural beauty staying on the lake has to offer.
- Host must approve all decorations and all decorations must be removed by the end of the event
- Wheelchair access limited
- Amplified music OK indoors and outdoors until 10pm
- Smoking in designated areas only
- General liability insurance required
- Biodegradable throwables only
- Clients and/or their caterers are responsible for clearing and undressing all tables. This includes collecting and bagging all trash and service items such as cups, bottles, napkins, etc. All the items brought in by the client, including service items and decorations must be either bagged for disposal or loaded and removed at the conclusion of your event.
- Your host will be present on site throughout the day and into the evening to help ensure you and your guests have a safe and enjoyable time on the property.
- Alcohol policy: Channing allows you to bring your own alcohol onsite for your event. However, Channing does not have a liquor license and requires all alcohol be contained in an open bar set up, controlled by a certified/licensed bartender at all times. All of age guests must provide a valid ID in order to drink on the property. Alcohol cannot be sold on property. We reserve the right to shut down the bar at any point in time if we feel guests are being over served, or if the situation becomes out of hand. We do not allow outside alcohol to be provided by guests attending your event.
Wedding Reception Only at Channing Hall
(6 hours): $1,500
- Round tables and chairs for up to 60 guests
- Set up and take down of tables & chairs
- 2 long buffet tables
- Central AC and Heat
- Indoor bar with cocktail area
- Covered patio
- Use of the expansive lawn
- Lake & pier
- Caterers kitchen
- Large restroom
Ceremony & Reception:
Includes all the above as well as outdoor chapel use or indoor ceremony in Channing Hall.
Rent Channing’s Bridal Suite:
- Quaint dressing area for the bride, includes private bathroom: $200 (4 hours day of wedding)
- Overnight stay in the on-site bridal suite: $500 a night (includes access day of wedding to private bathroom, dressing room and bedroom with king bed).
Rent Channing Lodge:
- Spacious accommodations for groom and friends to get ready or for extended family. 4 hour access day of wedding: $300.
- Rent the Lodge for an overnight stay (3 bedroom, 2 baths, full kitchen and living room-sleeps up to 6): $600 a night (Noon check out).
Additional homes may be available on the lake to accommodate family and guests. Contact host for more information.
Corporate Meeting Rates
- $125 an hour (room rental only) with a minimum 30 minutes prior and post for set up and clean up.
- Contact host for additional corporate services available.